Advanced Breastfeeding Clinical Skills
Check-In: 8:30 a.m. - 9:00 a.m.
Breakfast: 8:30 a.m. - 9:00 a.m.
Training: 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Lunch: 12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m.
The overall goal of this training is to increase breastfeeding clinical skills in the local agency CPA staff who have completed an advanced lactation certification such as CLS, CLC, CLE or IBCLC. The training will address how to support and identify normal breastfeeding behaviors and how to assist in resolving critical breastfeeding problems. Components of this training will include obtaining a pertinent history and assessment of the breastfeeding dyad; creating a feeding plan specific for the breastfeeding dyads situation and use of alternative feeding devices.
Upcomming Dates & Locations
No future dates and locations for this training have been determined yet. Please check back later for more updates.
- Increased knowledge about how to tell when a breastfeeding dyad is successfully breastfeeding and how to support the mother in these situations.
- Increased knowledge, skills and comfort in performing a breastfeeding assessment with respect to assessing the mother and infant.
- a. Maternal Issues:
- i. Flat or inverted nipple
- ii. Engorgement
- iii. Nipple pain and damage
- iv. Milk supply issues
- b. Infant Issues:
- i. Weight loss, slow weight gain, failure to gain weight
- ii. Jaundice
- iii. Ankylogossia (tongue tie)
- iv. Colic/Fussiness/Gastric Reflux
- Increased knowledge and comfort using the following:
- a. Breast Pump – Symphony Pump
- b. Alternative Feeding Devices
- c. Nipple Shields
The full policy is available for you to read during the registration process under "Terms and Conditions" prior to submitting your registration.
Please Note: Due to flu season, we ask that if you experience any symptoms related to the flu, please stay home and do not attend the event. Contact MPHI either by phone or email if you will not be attending. To learn more about the flu and what you can do, please visit www.flu.gov or call (800) 232-4636.