Check-In: 8:30 a.m. - 9:00 a.m.
Training: 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Breakfast: 8:30 a.m. - 9:00 a.m.
Lunch: 12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m.
Breastfeeding Basics two-day training provides didactic and hands on learning opportunities regarding normal breastfeeding and common challenges with the breastfeeding dyad; utilizing evidenced-based practices that promote successful breastfeeding and client centered services when communicating with breastfeeding families. Application of knowledge learned will be used during the small group activities and case studies regarding common breastfeeding challenges.
This training is consistent with Accreditation Criteria/Management Evaluation (ACME) criteria.
Breastfeeding Basics for Clerk & Tech Staff - One-day training
Training Capacity: 36 participants
Training Frequency: 5 per year
2020 Upcoming Dates & Locations
March 10 -11, 2020
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Detroit-Dearborn
5801 Southfield Expressway
Detroit MI, 48228
June 16-17, 2020
Bridge Vista Hotel & Convention Center
1027 South Huron
Mackinaw City, MI, 49701
Past Dates & Locations
December 3-4, 2019
Hawk Hallow Conference Center
15101 Chandler Rd
October 8-9, 2019
Courtyard by Marriott Mt. Pleasant at Central Michigan University
2400 East Campus Dr
Mt. Pleasant, MI 48858
September 10-11, 2019
2001 N Lincoln, Rd
Escanaba, MI 49829
June 11-12, 2019
DoubleTree by Hilton Grand Rapids
4747 28th Street
Grand Rapids, MI
May 14-15, 2019
Crowne Plaza Farmington Hills - Novi/Detroit
37529 Grand River Avenue
Farmington Hills, MI 48335
May 1-2, 2019
Boyne Mountain Resort
1 Boyne Mountain Road
Boyne Falls, MI 48713
December 11-12, 2018
15101 Chandler Rd.
Bath, MI 48808
October 9-10, 2018
15101 Chandler Rd.
Bath, MI 48808
- Discuss how personal attitudes and perception impact breastfeeding education.
- List reasons to breastfeed as well as the risks of not breastfeeding.
- Identify common myths and misperceptions about breastfeeding
- Describe normal breast development and changes in relationship to pregnancy and breastfeeding.
- Identify ways to support breastfeeding from pregnancy to weaning.
- List Evidence-based Maternity Care Practices that help promote successful initiation of breastfeeding.
- Describe how infant’s position and latch can effect breastfeeding success.
- Identify rapport building techniques that establish a positive relationship with pregnant and breastfeeding women.
- Demonstrate the ability to use client-centered services when communicating with or counseling women.
- List common issues that arise with breastfeeding as well as strategies mothers can use to address them.
- Alice Christensen, IBCLC
- Kalli Fortune-Ball, IBCLC
- Nancy Heyns, IBCLC
- Heidi Maki
- Keva Williams
- Clerk (required within 1 year)
- Technician (required within 1 year)
- CPA (required within 1 year)
- RD/RDN (required within 1 year)
- Health Educator (required within 1 year)
- Coordinator (required within 1 year)
- NE Coordinator (required within 1 year)
- Breastfeeding Coordinator (required within 1 year)
- PC Manager (required within 1 year)
- PC (required within 6 months)
- Senior PC (required within 1 year)
All participants registering in advance will receive a confirmation letter, including a map and directions. If you do not receive a confirmation letter one week prior to the event, or if you have any questions regarding registration, please contact MPHI at (517) 324-8330.