Training: 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Registration: 8:30 a.m. - 9:00 a.m.
Breakfast: 8:30 a.m. - 9:00 a.m.
Lunch: 12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m.
Breastfeeding Basics will provide information on the normal course of breastfeeding and an opportunity to develop and practice skills in breastfeeding promotion and support. This training will enhance participant's comfort level in talking about breastfeeding with families and colleagues. Easy and practical approaches for assisting mothers will also be included.
This training is consistent with Accreditation Criteria/Management Evaluation (ACME) criteria.
Limited space is available.
Maximum class size is 28 attendees.
Upcoming Dates & Locations
September 12-13, 2017
The Kensington Hotel
3500 South State Street, Ann Arbor, MI 48108
Phone: (734) 761-7800
Rate is $111.00 per night plus applicable taxes and fees. Room cut off date is August 18, 2017. When calling for overnight accommodations, please identify that you are attending WIC Breastfeeding Training for the government rate.
- Explain how personal attitudes and perception impact breastfeeding education
- Name reasons to breastfeed and the risks of not breastfeeding
- Identify common myths and misperceptions about breastfeeding
- Explain normal breast development and changes in relationship to pregnancy and breastfeeding
- Identify ways to support breastfeeding from pregnancy to weaning
- List basic evidence based maternity care practices that help ensure a successful in breastfeeding
- Describe how infant’s position and latch can effect breastfeeding success
- Identify rapport building techniques that establish a positive relationship with pregnant and breastfeeding women
- Demonstrate the ability to use client-centered services when communicating with or counseling women
- Name common issues that arise with breastfeeding and strategies mothers can use to address them
- Alice Christensen, IBCLC
- Kalli Fortune-Ball, IBCLC
- Nancy Heyns, IBCLC
- Julie Lothamer, IBCLC
Quiet nursing babies under 6 months are welcome to attend the training. Older nursing children are welcome at nursing times.
All participants registering in advance will receive a confirmation letter, including a map and directions. If you do not receive a confirmation letter one week prior to the event, or if you have any questions regarding registration, please contact MPHI at (517) 324-8330.