Agenda (Two Day Training)
Training: 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Registration: 8:00 a.m. - 8:30 a.m.
Breakfast: 8:00 a.m. - 8:30 a.m.
Lunch: 12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m.
This is a two-day workshop. The learner should be able to apply interviewing techniques; properly screen and assess infant/child anthropometric, hematological and immunization data; properly screen and assess infant/child medical, health and dietary history; properly screen for family and environmental risks in the homes of the parents, and caregivers; properly assign a food package; properly screen and refer for any special needs; properly document all findings in electronic medical record and state of Michigan systems. There will be hands-on application exercises.
This training is consistent with Accreditation Management Evaluation (ACME) standards.
Upcoming Dates & Locations
March 20-21, 2019
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Bay City – Riverfront
One Wenonah Park Place
Bay City, Michigan, 48708
In order to secure training overnight room rate, rooms must be booked at least 31 days prior to the start of each training. When calling for overnight accommodations, please identify that you are attending WIC Training for the government rate.
April 10-11, 2019
Venues to be determined.
June 26-27, 2019
Venues to be determined.
- Properly screen and assess the WIC client and assign appropriate nutrition risk factors.
- Determine appropriate food packages pertaining to clients’ risks and needs while maintaining compliance with regulations and policy.
- Properly assign and change a client’s food package in the electronic record.
- Provide nutrition education while applying client centered counseling skills (CCS) in the WIC clinic setting.
- Develop Nutrition Education Plans incorporating clients’ concerns, needs and goals.
- Identify appropriate referrals within the community that meet clients’ needs.
- Document nutrition education and referrals in the electronic record.
- Participate in mock certifications of WIC clients with hands-on practice and application in the electronic record.
- Nancy Erickson, MS, RD, CLE
- Heather Kahn, MS, RD
- Amy Thompson, RD
- New CPA staff who are familiar with the process and functions of the WIC clinic.
- CPA staff who have not previously attended, or could benefit from a refresher.
- Other Local Agency staff including but not limited to: Registered Dietitians, WIC Coordinators, Supervisors and Quality Assurance staff.
- MI-WIC All Clinic Staff Training
- MI-WIC CPA Training
- MI-WIC One Year Certification and the Child Evaluation Appointment
The full policy is available for you to read during the registration process under "Terms and Conditions" prior to submitting your registration.
Please Note: Due to flu season, we ask that if you experience any symptoms related to the flu, please stay home and do not attend the event. Contact MPHI either by phone or email if you will not be attending. To learn more about the flu and what you can do, please visit www.flu.gov or call (800) 232-4636.